This weekend (May 18th, 2013) our HyperFit Instructor will be running The Florida Keys 50 Mile Ultra marathon.
The race will start at Marathon Key at 10:00 am Saturday morning and run NONSTOP to Key West on US-1 in the blistering 90 degree sun!!!
He has run 50 miles – 5 times already and 100 miles nonstop – 2 times! He will be posting more about it on his blog www.crossfitrgtc.com
We wish him the very best of luck!
On Friday May 17th at 8:30 pm we’ll be presenting at the academy the new Gracie Documentary for everyone! kids, parents and friends are welcome
The documentary shows how the greatest sport family started the MMA legacy. It will be a fun night for the entire family,we will be having food, drinks and snacks!
We had a really special night, our two professors Nei and Zenovy received their stripes on their black belts! Zenovy his first stripe and Nei his 4th
It was a surprise for them and it was really nice having so many students on the mats that shared this moment with them.
On April 6th at Markham park we will be having our annual BBQ! we will be in shelter 1 which is just past the camping sites starting at 1 pm.
We have beach volleyball court, open grass field for other games, music and tons of fun!
Get ready! see you all there! bring friends and family
We are now a CrossFit affiliated Gym. Anyone who has always wanted to do it or has friends that always wanted to try, invite them to come for a FREE trial.
Our workouts have been always highly dynamic, fully functional and constantly changing. This affiliation now allows us to interact with a larger community.
Big new program being added here at the Training Center which will really benefit all the community!
Keep an eye out for more info next week!
Classes have been rocking, amazing goals from our members being achieve!
Keep up the hard work!
Guys we had an incredible class yesterday for our adult Jiu Jitsu program. We did a “Street Self Defense Awareness class”where our students came in jeans, long sleeve shirts and learned stick self defense.
We had tons of fun!
Real World Stats About Bullying
- 56% of students have personally felt some sort of bullying at school. Between 4th and 8th grade in particular, 90% of students are victims of bullying.
- The most common reason cited for being harassed is a student’s appearance or body size. 2 out of 5 teens feel that they are bullied because of the way that they look.
- 9 out of 10 LGBT youth reported being verbally harassed at school in the past year because of their sexual orientation.
- 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4% percent of the time.
- A victim of bullying is twice as likely to take his or her own life compared to someone who is not a victim.
- One out of 10 students drop out of school because they are bullied.
- Physical bullying peak in middle school and declines in high school. Verbal abuse rates remain constant from elementary to high school.
- Researchers feel that bullying should not be treated as part of growing up (with the attitude “kids will be kids”).
- 41% of principals say they have programs designed to create a safe environment for LGBT students, but only 1/3 of principals say that LGBT students would feel safe at their school.
- 57% of students who experience harassment in school never report the incident to the school. 10% of those who do not report stay quiet because they do not believe that teachers or staff can do anything. As a result, more than a quarter of students feel that school is an unsafe place to be.
- Schools with easily understood rules of conduct, smaller class sizes and fair discipline practices report less violence than those without such features.
what BJJ environment can do for your kids! Article in Gracie Magazine wrote by our own Professor Stan Beck
“It is s gratifying to see the amazing results in the kids and families. Frankly, the school systems are overwhelmed with their daily responsibilities and, perhaps, their educators don’t have the time, skills or inclination to teach the character development and leadership skills that children need.
We take our roles as partners of schools systems and parents very seriously.”
Here you have it! Team HyperFit. Monica, Donna, Louis and myself posing for a picture with our 1st place trophy after an incredible running effort!! We did 49.6 miles in 6 hours giving us enough miles for FIRST PLACE OVERALL CO-ED DIVISION @ the Vista View 360 – 6 hour endurance run.
Donna, Monica and Louis – I am so proud of you, you guys are amazing athletes. I am really glad I was able to share in this awesome experience with you today.